Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A few little moments

Gotta love toddlers as they turn into little people, they say the funnest things.  Kyndal cracks me up!:
*On the day of her bday party (which I'll blog about sometime here in the near future...)*
me:  "Kyndal you need to pick up the family room, your party is starting soon and I'm late (big surprise...)"
K:  "NO!  IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!"
I didn't really ever get special treatment as far as chores went if chore day fell on my birthday, and birthdays are not a huge deal for me (ok, I know they should be now that I have children), so not once did I tell little Miss K that she would get preferential treatment on her birthday.  This was spun up all on her own.

*Not sure when or even how she heard us talking about this, but Ben & I were considering buying a trampoline for her bday instead of just having a bounce house*
K:  "Mommy, lets go to the store and get a trampoline"
me:......     "Well babe, we don't have any money to do that right now"
K:  "Mmmm, yeah, we only have fifty bucks"
Haha, this still makes me laugh, because a) that is a number she's never spoken and b) her bounce house was indeed fifty bucks!  I wonder if she has ear-noculars (Community reference anyone?) and can somehow hear the whispered conversations Ben and I have about her... 

*Also on the day of her bday party.  I was telling her to take her stuffed animals (she has an abundance) up to her room, and she came back down telling me this (she had a hard time spitting it out, she didn't know how to put this particular thought into words, hence the pauses)*
K:  "I put my stuffed animals up in my bedroom, and I, I put them all in the basket so   ,,,  so my room could be clean,  ,,, so when my friends come ,,,, they won't see them  ,  ,,,, and they'll be put away"
me:  "Oh, babe, you want your room clean when your friends come so you put your toys away?"
K  "Yeah, I cleaned my room so my friends can come and not see a mess"
Ok, first of all, I haven't (cringe) started making her really pick things up because I personally hate putting her toys away (sorry Ben).  However, I usually (USUALLY people) try to have my kitchen and house picked up when people come over (with a few exceptions as I'm sure Kara & Nicole are thinking right now!), because I'm overly sensitive to the things people are probably not but still might be saying about my house.  So I am thoroughly over-joyed that this penchant I have somehow transferred to my daughter and she also has begun to wish her room clean when guests are coming over.  Her zealousness aside, and merely for historical recording purposes, I must tell you that I still have much to teach her in the ways of cleaning and the definition of "picked up"... 

*I overheard this while stealthily eavesdropping on a conversation she was having today with Allie while playing at her little table.  The toys involved are her small, real-looking giraffe, elephant, cow and zebra.  And Kara, please excuse my daughter, she is a tidge bossy...*
K:  "No, Allie, that one is Uncle Ben, I have to have him.  Come here Uncle Ben, I will keep you safe.  Here you ("Uncle Ben") can play with the elephant and Allie can have the cow"
If I were a burst-out-laughing type of person, I definitely would've done so after hearing this.  Ben has a friend named Ben also (yup that one, Frank & Sharee!) who is at our house relatively frequently, and pretty sure he is K's first crush.  She adores him and honestly he probably leaves our house glad he doesn't have children, she does not give him one moment of peace.  He's super awesome with her though, and pays her plenty of attention, which secured him a spot in her heart.  BUT, when I ask her what her dolls/animals names are, they are either the cartoon character they correspond to (Horton the elephant, etc) or.... duck.  She's not all that inventive (probably my fault...).  So this was definitely an LOL moment when she'd named one of her animals Uncle Ben!

*Also, I'm posting this so that I can remind myself that it is a sweet moment that I should cherish and not be annoyed.  Devin sucks at taking naps.  He sleeps through the night, he goes right down without being rocked, he's in bed by 7:30, he sleeps until 8am.  Nights are great (except when he's sick.................).  But he sucks at taking naps.  I always put him down at the exact same time every afternoon (morning naps are not ever at the same time though), so you would think he would take the afternoon nap at least really well.  Not so.  He'll either sleep 3 hours in the morning or 40 minutes in the morning, or 2 hours in the afternoon or 1 hour in the afternoon, or etc etc you get the idea.  Today though I just let him talk to himself and whine a bit for like 2 hours and he still hadn't fallen asleep, so I went up to rock him.  I rocked him, and walked with him, and held him still, and rocked him, and he still would NOT go to sleep.  Right before he dropped off finally (after 45 minutes of this), he held his eyes open for a weirdly long time and wouldn't even blink.  You could tell he was basically out (vacant look in the eyes), but he would not close them at all.  If I moved he would snap his eyes back open.  I finally got to sit down and shut his eyes for him (gently!, it's a thing I do with my babies, I rub their foreheads and it usually puts 'em right out), but then he had a good little chubby hand hold on my shirt and wouldn't let go.  I tried to lay him down and he snapped his eyes right back open and started crying.  So I sat with him asleep for another 15 minutes, his little chubby hand still holding on tight to my shirt.  I was annoyed, but at the same time, it's so sweet that he needs me and wanted me to hold him.  If it's just for naps, I guess that's ok, even though I didn't get any alone time today.  Little man!  He's such a little snuggle butter and I love that, and I love his hand holding my shirt so tight.  Sweet moment Abbey, sweet moment!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I went through the same naping thing with Asher. Actually all my kids. Anyway, I don't know if you are looking for advice but it sounds like he's ready for just a "after lunch nap" He may not be sleepy anymore when it comes time for his afternoon nap. Just my thought on the situation though. I was way bummed when Asher made the switch to one nap a day. Especially now since he's a psycho tornado.

Nicole Palmer said...

I love all the cute/funny Kyndal comments! I'm still laughing about her comments to you at lunch today!! And for the record your house is ALWAYS sparkely clean - a few toys on the floor don't count - nice try :0)!!

AMIT said...

Some lovely moments are really memorable for us.

Web hosting india

Camille said...

Ok these are funny...yeah cause we only have 50 buck ha ha!