Saturday, August 16, 2008

Steeplechase?????

Anyone catch the track event on Saturday where people behave as though they were horses? I submit that the Steeplechase track event is the weirdest Olympic event ever. What is the point of a human jumping over (well into, they really don't have the height the horses get) water? It was utter chaos going through the water obstacle and I couldn't help but think those particular humans just really want to be animals. It looked like a herd of antelope on the savannah running pell mell into a body of water to get away from a lion. I mean really. It looked like someone came up with that event as a joke. But then again, there is Olympic badminton. And the air pistol event. Oh, but the winner of the this-should-not-be-an-Olympic-event award is table tennis.

5 comments:

Kara said...

One of my good friends in college was the top male in the U.S. in this event (he qualified for the Olympics in Athens but then messed up his foot) and I remember going to this event for the first time to watch him run it, without knowing anything about it really. The first water hurdle I saw I thought, "What the crap is he doing?" And then it just got better from there.

The Robinson's said...

Ab- you crack me up! Love all of your new posts and I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Kyndal's ponytail is my favorite!! Love you!

Ashley said...

I guess I'm not so sorry I missed it! But, I'm glad you got to enjoy such a classic event.

Momma J said...

i haven't seen this yet, but i know what i'm going to go back and watch!

Heidi said...

So I'm watching steeplechase right now for the first time ever. I have to say I love how on the water hurdles, they jump on top of the hurdle and then propel themselves over the water...it's awesome! Hahaha.