Monday, January 5, 2009

Startin' it off right!

If the first 4 days of this year are any indication of how the rest of it will go, then I'm staying home forever. We got home on the 1st, and that was a precious time. 11 days gone is just about enough. We unpacked right when we got home even, which is a 1st for me, usually the suitcase sits open until all it's contents need to be used, which could take 2 to 3 weeks depending on how desperate I am to wear a particular item of clothing. Then Friday was relatively normal until Ben came home saying Leslie's Pool Supply was doing a promotion to get the rest of the tickets for the first ever Cardinal's playoff game sold (the AZ pro football team for those of you who don't know Ben). So we went and bought $100 worth of stuff we don't need in order to go to a game that would have cost us probably around $250. Ben's heart was so full when we walked out of there, such joy filled his face. So Saturday my sister came over to watch K, we're both pumped for the game, and off we go. You always need to eat a hot dog at whatever stadium you're at, so we got our food and settled in to our seats. So Ben has this thing where his esophagus (not bothering to figure out how to spell that right, sorry) freaks out and spasms if he eats food after a long time of not eating, and his food gets caught and you can finish the rest of that. Anyway, that happened with the maiden bite of the hot dog, except something went even more way wrong this time than ever before and his esophagus kept on spasming and wouldn't relax. So we spent 1/2 the game in the paramedic's station trying to get it to relax. Well it didn't, so he couldn't swallow at all, nothing at all. So, being the dedicated fans we are, we watched the rest of the game (Cardinals won, how awesome is that??!!), with Ben well yeah, you can picture it (sorry babe, I'm trying to be as discreet as possible about this). So he felt better walking, and we thought walking the mile back to the car would help him. Nope, it made it worse, as did sitting in the car for an hour to get out of the parking lot. By this time I'm freaking out pretty good because nothing bad ever happens to Ben health wise, and I just can't handle it well at all. We went to the ER to see what they could do for him. Their solution was drinking hot coke. Yeah, didn't work, still can't swallow anything (not even his spit ok, there I said it). So he keeps on throwing up nothing. And then they gave him a muscle relaxer, and that plus the hot coke worked, so now he's just throwing up constantly. Well around the time he started throwing up for real, I started getting these weird things, I guess people call them contractions? Since I never got to experience them with Kyndal until the day before she was born, I was totally clueless for about an hour and then I was going back over it and realized they'd happened every 5 minutes or so. So now I'm freaking out again even though Ben was ok and could swallow again. After 5 hours at the stupid ER, we went home and I called the triage for my Dr. I drank about 1000 oz of water, and laid down but I could not relax, could not warm up, so the contractions didn't go away until 3:30am or so. Yay, but then they started again at 8 Sunday morning, so off we went to the hospital again. I got some drug I can't remember the name of to stop the contractions, and now I get to drink my weight in water every day for the next 7 1/2 weeks so the baby stops trying to come. And nothing stressful at all can happen either, since that was what triggered it apparently. At least the baby is ok, but now I'm living in great fear because this experience taught me that oh dang, a real baby is going to come soon and holy crap I am so not ready to have 2!! Freaked out? yes. And unspeakably sad because I'm not ready to share Kyndal yet. And she's still in the bed the baby needs to use. So I guess we better get working on that huh? HAPPY FREAKIN 2009 EVERYONE!.... Hope your start was better than ours! Here are some pictures though from the game, because I know you all care as much as we do ;) We however were really excited to go, seeing as how they WON! even though the day was just a little bit marred by hospital visits. And a big ginormous thank you to my sister Megan who stayed at our house for almost 24 hours and brought us dinner on Sunday :)The face of a truly surprised Card's fan, they won a playoff game!
They got into the playoffs in the first place!

5 comments:

Kara said...

You're not supposed to get stressed out? Did they realize they were giving these instructions to a mother?!? :) Let me know if I can do anything to help, we're back too and just around the corner! :)

Kara said...

You're not supposed to get stressed out? Did they realize they were giving these instructions to a mother?!? :) Let me know if I can do anything to help, we're back too and just around the corner! :)

Nicole Palmer said...

You guys are true football fans - who else would stay to watch when on the verge of death?!?! I'm glad you guys are alright! Go Cardinals!

Moser Clan said...

Wow....I'm speachless. To live one day in your life Abby:) ha ha. I can't believe how fast your pregnancy is going by...scary and exciting....Keep us updated on the transition into double mommy-hood

Unknown said...

Have you ever heard of a disorder called Eosinophilic Esophagitis? It sounds like the same symptoms. Here is a page for more info
http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=77065
Have him talk to his pcp about it. It's a pretty serious condition if left untreated.