Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The kiddos

Just a cute one of Dev sleeping. He really doesn't like to be swaddled (he's related to Kyndal, big surprise). Ben's reading a flippin' book! I love it! He's obsessed with Angels & Demons, it's fun to see him read and of course Kyndal wants in on the action.

Miss K is on a big girl bed now! We can't move her crib out yet because we need Dev's room for family to stay, but she consistently chooses to sleep in the big girl bed now. Of course it only worked this time because it was her idea. I don't really even have to lock the door AND put a gate up in front of her door, but I do anyway. She doesn't try to get out until she wakes up and then she's "stuck!", so I think she's doing so well (please don't jinx me!). She's dang funny about it though, she needed every single blanket that was in her crib, and she tells me where to place them every nap and bed time. She'll rearrange her pillows too just to her liking and then she's all good. So teeny in the big bed! I love it! A little brag session-Kyndal got so much smarter in the couple of weeks that my mom was here taking care of her. She talks so much more, she sings songs, she makes up songs all by herself too. One day she sang a little diddy about Mommy and Daddy going to the hospital to bring home the baby. The next it was about her duck and her plug and her Snuggle Puppy (a Valentines present from us). She also says thank you for everything now which is awesome. Her little personality is developing even more now and she's so goofy. It's so adorable and sad at the same time to see my little tiny growing up!

We went to the zoo when Dev was 10 days old (if you think we're crazy, don't tell me). This picture is so quintessentially Kyndal, it's one of my favorites ever. Her hair is a mess, her clothes are a mess, she's not looking at the camera, and she's climbing on something. Love this girl.

It's a gas smile, but it's a smile! This is all he did at the zoo, sleeep sleeep sleep sleeeep.
Yay for consignment stores where we could score a cheapo double jogging stroller! Yuck, don't look at my face.This is Kyndal doing what she's oddly obsessed with lately, but it's funny-ish. Ben's face says it all. She has to give everything that she likes "big kiss, big hug". So she's kissing the bee....

One of the few (increasingly more though) times he's been awake so far. He's such a doll! My pics of Kyndal when she was new are on our external hard drive and I'm lazy so I'll compare them later. I almost don't know what to do with this kid! He sleeps all the time! He's being awake more now, for an hour or so after he eats (more on that later), which is fun. We're getting some eye contact too. He's mostly just super squirmy when he's awake though. So far it's borderline *easy*??? to have 2 kids? Just because he's such a lazy little guy. It takes him a lot to cry, but he gets what we've labeled "silently stressed out". He breathes hard and squirmes and makes little disgruntled dinosaur noises for about 1/2 an hour before he'll actually cry. And the car puts him OUT like nothing I've ever seen. Kyndal screamed every moment she was in the car seat until we put her forward facing, so this is kind of nice! He's a cuddly little peanut, he'll fall asleep in about 5 seconds when he gets snuggled. No swaddling though (why my kids hate it, I'll never know)!

This is mostly how Kyndal interacts with Devin. All up in his grill, kissing and hugging. She so far does NOT grasp the be soft concept, which has been rough, but we're working on it. She loves him almost too much, which I'm happy about, but she gets a little crazy. He's going to have to learn to roll with the punches literally though, he's already taken several hits (including getting stepped on YIKES). I'm not sure she realizes he's a person yet, I think she thinks he's more of a toy still which probably contributes to the lack of awareness that she's hurting him. OH, but the boy part/girl part discussions have been priceless! I wish someone with both genders of children would have told me this was so difficult! It never fails that either Ben or I or both will have to turn away swallowing the hugest laugh ever because of what she says about him and his plumbing. It is so funny. Advice though to help us make sure she knows she's a girl! Ok now a bit for me. Nursing is the biggest struggle ever. He nurses just fine except that he falls asleep way too easily and it takes so dang long to feed him. I sit on the couch for at least 5 hours a day just getting him to eat. The kid does not wake up for anything except an ice pack from the freezer. My butt goes actually numb from so much sitting. Also I don't know what to do as far as diet, etc. So tips for nursing would be great too! Even though it is frustrating me to be the only one who can take care of him, so I'm positive this is not going to last long-I'll take tips anyway. It's even worse because I don't think I'm regulated yet so I still hurt so so bad! So Ben's all for me quitting,,, but I don't think I will until at least 2 months, 4 months at the most. Anyway. That's the majority of my complaints. Oh, except for 6 weeks cannot come soon enough, I need to get movin' already and work off some of this sludge! I love my kids, but a) we are done for a while and b) I so fell flat on my face hard for this one!

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, he is sooo sweet! Love it! And that stroller looks an awful lot like my Chicco stuff that was stinkin' expensive! Good find!

Kara said...

Oh man, Devin is so cute!!! I need to come over again and see him- seriously, when do you want me to make you dinner? Next week? Also, I have tons of nursing advice (hated it at first too but made it to one year) We'll talk. :)

Oh, and we took Allie on a tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Scottsdale when she was 2.5 weeks old. Did you know that tour was mostly outside? We didn't either. Also, when she was 2.5 weeks old it was JUNE. So going to the zoo at 10 days old in March is totally not crazy.

hdawgy said...

ok from your last post...what is a peepee teepee? It sounds pretty cool but what is it exactly? I'm sure it's something that blocks the weiner so you don't get peed on but what does it look like? haha I need a picture!
Now for this post...I feel the same way you do about breastfeeding! It's hard to be the only one that can feed the kid! I felt like I was always sitting on my butt feeding all day too! I lost my milk after 2 months! I don't get how they say the more you nurse the more milk you get...not for me...the more I nursed the less I had! So I don't have any advice for you on that! haha
The private parts one is a funny one! All you can do is laugh! haha
K will get the idea of being soft to Dev! You know alot of it is probably just getting your attention since she has to share you now! It's new to her and her world has just been rocked! It's gonna be hard the first couple months and it gets overwhelming sometimes but just take deep breaths!
He is so precious Abra! I love that he sqirms and gives you a 30 minute warning before he cries! haha Then you can hurry and get things done cuz you know you still have 30 minutes! haha
You look great girl! Your funny going to the zoo 10 days after giving birth! I am the same way! I was running 3 weeks after I had Brighton but I didn't have a c section either! Your a champ! We have that same stroller! I love it! You are such an awesome mom Abs! Love you!

Brittain said...

I can't wait to come meet baby Devin!!! I made him... well, you... a little present and I am so excited to give it to you... don't be too excited it's really little... :)

The Robinson's said...

I've never been able to relate so closely to someone as I can with you- especially right now! I feel like we are doing through everything the exact same (except for the girl/boy parts)!! Tate also sleeps a bunch- I actually really appreciate it because Ryke has given me a run for my money. He does pretty good until I sit down to nurse Tate- then all hell breaks loose! I feel like I am doing better with two kids than I thought I would, but it's still difficult at times. I miss you and I hope you are doing well recovering. D & K are too cute!!

The Crazy Wyatt Fam said...

Hey Ben and Abbey! So, my sister said she ran into you all at the temple. I was so sad she didn't get your contact info! But, then I thought you probably blogged. So, I am really excited I found you guys! My email is jjlwyatt@aol.com
You will have to email your phone, we would love to see you guys!! Your kids are so beautiful, and congrats on your second. Your catching up! :) Take care!! ~Jackie Wyatt

Nicole Palmer said...

GREAT pictures!!! K & D are so cute together. Kyndal was singing the mommy/daddy hospital song one of the days she was playing with us - so funny to read about it in your post! I'm glad that things are going well for you - it gives me hope that I might be able to handle two!!! ;0)

Kristal said...

Devin is freaking adorable! Um, and crazy for getting your kid some fresh air at 10 days old...haha, just wait til we have ours. We're usually out at sunsplash or on a roadtrip the next week with ours...except the last one that killed me and I didn't leave the bed for weeks and weeks. (Inducing from now on!)
You guys should go to the zoo again this Thursday (we'll be there...not looking foward to it...I'm dead tired for about 10 of my waking hours...I'm good for 2).

J D said...

Don't give up on the nursing. It is so worth it. My only advice on that one is be sure to drink lots of water. But you and Ben are such wonderful parents, you will do what is best I am sure.