Monday, August 3, 2009

Potty madness

We don't own a carpet cleaner, so I am not prepared for potty training ala ripping the bandaid (diaper) off. Since my daughter, like most little girls, is extremely strong-willed, most of what happens in her life is either her idea or has been encouraged to the point that it has become her idea. Manipulation at it's finest. One day she'll realize the master that I am... or I will realize that I've been played like a violin. Either way-I swear potty training will all be Kyndal's idea or it won't happen, although that approach is not currently reaping the most happy benefits. I've mentioned and tried to push using the potty for the last 6 months or so, but in the last month she's finally started to catch on. Except only at night, and only after she's been read and sung to and calm enough to recognize the feeling. So we've got it down to a routine now at bedtime. Now though, she's catching on to the fact that she gets to get back out of bed if she says she has to go pee. So here is my dilemma. And yes preemptively, I do realize that I sound ridiculous being angry and shouting words like potty and peepee and poop. I never thought I would scream to myself "go to the freaking potty already!". Anyway, while potty training a small troll of a girl, do you allow her multiple trips to the potty, or do you say one chance and that's it. Because she has mastered herself enough that a small amount of pee comes out each time, so it's not like she just takes of the diaper and fakes it. So can I ethically and correct-parentingly (new term I've coined) deny her a trip to the potty to avoid 7 trips each night (and now nap times)? Or will denying her a trip stunt her potty training growth and make this whole awful process take longer? And, those of you who ripped the diaper off and went straight from diapers to nothing-how many times a day were you cleaning up bathroom residue from your carpet and couches?

3 comments:

Danika said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of potty training!

The short answer to your dilemma is this: it really depends on the kid. Some kids are easy & hate making messes so it happens fast. Some are belligerent and take forever to get potty trained because it becomes a power struggle between parent/child. I've had one of each....and not necessarily the kid whose usual personality matches up with that, go figure!

If she's only 2 1/2 I wouldn't stress about it. Let her go when she wants to go. If she were 3 1/2 it might be a different story. I don't know her well, but I doubt she has that much physical control or manipulation in her.

I personally hate Pull-ups. I think they're a waste of time & money, except for when they're almost ready for underwear and to use for outings & other people's houses & church & nighttime. Other than that, let her run naked through the house. Invest in a good little carpet cleaning machine and deal with the messes that WILL happen. Pull-ups feel just like diapers so they will continue to pee/poop in them as long as you let them.

There's my two cents, for what it's worth. I've only potty-trained two kids so I'm by no means an expert....

Jenn said...

I am having the same problem with Lily! So I have no advice, but I think that we are going to try the naked approach soon. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Kara said...

We have a steam cleaner that is quite impressive with its carpet cleaning abilities (in Shiloh's hands anyway) and you're welcome to borrow it if you want to do the rip the bandaid off approach. Allie and I are going to try that when we get back, maybe we should have an "All 2 Years Old Go Naked" week at our houses!