Well, Kyndal got sick. For real. She's been sick before (I thought), but only twice and it never affected her craziness. So Sunday morning she wakes up with a hoarse little voice and kind of congested, not a huge deal. Then she had a fever of 100 around 1. But mainly she just sounded like yoda, which was cute. We put her to bed at 7, think all is well and get ready for bed at 11 and all of a sudden we hear a noise. What is a hoarse barking seal doing in my childs bedroom? So we go in there and she can hardly breathe at all, she's breathing so fast and she's burning up, sweating even. I take out my trusty stupid thermometer that never works and it says 103. Holy crap, she's never had a fever over 100 even with vaccines. And she can't breathe hardly at all. I was freaking out, Ben found an all-night urgent care (which was FABULOUS-no emergency room). She was so sad and sick and hot and it was horrible. We took her in, they took her temp and it was actually 104. I was fighting back tears because she never in her life has been sick, I'm just realizing. She had a sad little cry that could barely get out of her throat and it was just awful. So she has croup. Croup starts with a normal little cold, but if it bothers the throat, then in little kids it turns into croup. It inflames their vocal chords and makes their throat basically close up. They gave her a shot of steroids, and started her on amoxocillin because she also has an ear infection on top of it (first ear infection too!,,,). We took her back home, and she hardly slept. Hot steam showers didn't help (she hates them), she won't drink anything. All day yesterday she just whined and cried (as much as her throat would allow noise to come out). She's so unbelieveably miserable. I got around 7 oz of fluid down her yesterday (she'll eat a little though). All she wanted to do was be held and cuddled, which for me since she never does that is slightly sweet, but I know it's because she just feels like crap. Last night I was on the verge of a breakdown and I can hardly believe it had only been 24 hours since she'd really gotten sick. We said so many prayers while we were in the urgent care, so many prayers putting her to bed last night-please sleep!!! We got her down around 8 and she woke up again at 9. I thought I was in for the long haul, so I cuddled her for 1/2 an hour or so and she fell nice and deeply asleep. She woke up once at midnight for just a minute or so and then went back to sleep again all the way until 7am. THANK HEAVEN. Today she woke up and didn't want to be held, she wanted to play which was awesome. We had her old carseat out, trying to get her to sleep in it (being elevated helps), which she didn't, but all she wanted to do this morning was sit in it and put the shade over her head. She smiled at me too!
It really seems strange that it was really only 24 hours of her being really super sick, but it was so horrible it seems longer. She's still really tired and she has no voice at all, but at least she's doing better today. Apparently she got it because of the weirdo weather we had last week where it was hot and then got pretty cold and rainy. Hey, at least now I know all the millions of little tricks to try to make it better right? Oh, and I also know where the all night urgent care is, which I never knew they had! Nicole and Amy if you're kids get sick I am so very sorry!!
It really seems strange that it was really only 24 hours of her being really super sick, but it was so horrible it seems longer. She's still really tired and she has no voice at all, but at least she's doing better today. Apparently she got it because of the weirdo weather we had last week where it was hot and then got pretty cold and rainy. Hey, at least now I know all the millions of little tricks to try to make it better right? Oh, and I also know where the all night urgent care is, which I never knew they had! Nicole and Amy if you're kids get sick I am so very sorry!! 
5 comments:
Poor little Kyndal! I'm sorry she got sick! Corban got croup all the time when we lived there! The air is terrible there for little kids! It's so sad to see them when they are like that but at the same time it's nice to have a break and just hold them all day! I can't believe you never knew about those urgent cares! They are awesome! I'm glad she's feeling better!
Oh poor Kyndal, that's so sad! Little kids being sick is the worst, Allie's only ever had a cold and one case of stomach flu, but those were horrible enough! And for future information, because I'm sure we'll need it at some point, remind me to ask you where the all night urgent care is. Our pedi always tells us to take her to Banner Desert in case of emergency because they have a pediatric ER, but that's about a billion miles away from our house so if it really was an emergency I don't think my nerves could handle that drive!
Isn't Croup the worst? It is so scary sounding to listen to them bark and gasp and wheeze. Glad she is feeling better!
Oh Abs- isn't it the worst when they get sick. The only good thing is that they love to be held and cuddled. I'm glad you got things under control quickly though. Be sure to take care of yourself though because you will be run down after taking care of her and no sleep, etc... Hope that she continues to feel better. Miss you!!
Hey yo, I'm glad she's finally better, I thought mom was going to have to come down to take care of you. I can't wait to see you guys today!!! I'm also glad that I wasn't there to hear her cough because little coughs make me so sad.
Post a Comment