Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Things that have made me cry






The University of Michigan is stealing my sister Heidi away from me. I knew it was coming, since she graduated from ASU and all, but it was no less traumatic. She's basically lived with us for the last 4 years, so her leaving for good two weeks ago was super rough. My sister Megan left a couple months ago to move to New Mexico, so now we are thoroughly abandoned by my family! I'm glad for Ben's family and I'm glad for good friends that we have here :) It seemed like it was taking a nice long time to get to the 28th of May, but then the last couple of weeks went by way too fast. I got a couple of nice break nights with Heidi, we ate at our standard Olive Garden and then went to movies. We also got to go watch Angels & Demons with Ben the day before she left-Thank you JD!! But alas, it made it no less sad when she left. I kept getting all choked up whenever I thought about it, and then the morning it finally came I was a wreck. Saying goodbye to her was awful, she's going to be in Michigan for the next 4 years, that's really far away! By the time she gets back with her Masters & PhD in Electrical Engineering, both of my kids will be in school! She's been so close to us all of Kyndals life, all of Devins and it is really truly sad to have her gone. Kyndal made her leaving pretty awful too, she doesn't understand what's going on, but she was being extra sweet which was hard to watch. Kyndal gave her 13 hugs, said I love you Heidi without Heidi saying it first, and then when Heidi was getting in the car she busted out with "see you soon racoon, see you later alligator!". So sad! She loves Heidi so much, she loves all our family so much, it's sad for me to have to watch her say goodbye to people and not understand why. But, there are good things about me not having family here anymore-I get to travel to NM more often, and I'll get to travel to a part of the country I've never been to! So no clothes for me, just plane tickets from here on out :)
#2 thing making me cry lately-I have had a blocked tear duct for the past 6 weeks now, so I'm crying constantly (you get really watery eyes)! I'm also crying now because of the appointment I had this morning for it. I tried my optomotrist, tried my family doc, now I had to go to a opthomalogist (specialist guy) for it because it's not gone. So, this ailment is the biggest dork inducing ailment ever. Does it make it less dorky if you admit and admonish your dorkiness? Well hope so, cause I'm a big ole dork with this problem. I HATE IT! I have had to wear my glasses for the last 6 weeks (got the clear to wear my contacts again, thank goodness). Let me illustrate my feelings while wearing glasses, and seriously no offense at all to those who wear them all the time. My issues stem from one particular incident back in the 5th grade, and I actually think people who wear glasses look good an even look really cute-I just don't feel as though I pull it off. There was this dumb kid named Matt DeFago who I had a big crush on because he could draw the Berenstein Bears without tracing them (!). I got glasses in 5th grade, and the first day I had them I felt pretty good about them until I walked past him and he goes "four eyes" all snotty. I'm a horribly self-conscious person anyway (and have a really good memory when I get crushed), so that did it and ever since then I've had the biggest glasses complex ever and feel like I should be a big ole dork smack in the middle of my awkward phase again. So I feel like that wearing glasses, as well as dabbing at my eye constantly with a kleenex, makes me a SUPER DORK. Bah. Anyway, bottom line is that I now have to get eye surgery on the 31st of July to fix it, because my bottom tear duct (you have two in each eye) is all closed up with scar tissue from some infection that I never knew I had. I get to be put under, thank heaven, but a "small knife will be inserted into your duct, slicing through the scar tissue" nonetheless. So I cry.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

First: this is my third attempt at writing this comment, and I have to write while watching So You Think You Can Dance so I don't think about it too much. It makes me cry too. And I'm glad you think the same thing about the last two weeks because it was like I never slept and someone took the days away. BUT I'm going to focus on the part where you get to come see me SOOOO much and we get to explore the Northeast and have tons of fun.

Second: I'm glad you finally know what's wrong with your eye and that you can wear your contacts again. However... I can hear no more about your surgery. Not that I don't support and everything like that... but ya. I can hear no more about it. I love you big sis, you'll be totally fine!

Bridget said...

How sad your sister left for U of M, but I have to say how awesome for her that is a great school. And I didn't know your other sister left too, my goodness they all abandoned you.. You poor thing!!!