Oh, be still my aching heart. As a disclaimer (she'll get her own post soon, no worries people), I adore Kyndal. She is brilliant, funny, bright, the apple of my eye. She never ceases to amaze and/or make me slap my forehead in awe. But Devin is my baby. It was probably a combination of me waiting with bated breath for each milestone and Kyndal being fairly advanced (Yeah, I said it, I'm that Mom. But she was. What?), but I don't feel that K was ever a baby. Devin on the otherhand, relishes it. I think it was the 4 mo or the 6 mo post I did, but even back then we knew. He was born to be a baby. I will list the reasons for you:
*He still drinks from a bottle, he refuses to drink milk from anything but. So, he still drinks from a bottle. He walks around holding his doggie (lovey) in his right hand and his left (he's fo sho going to be a leftie) has the bottle held off to the side. How much more baby do you get than that?
*His little chubber butter feet make suction cup noises on our tile floors. I'm getting choked up right now just explaining it, but hearing the tiny suction cups coming around a corner to me really makes my heart squeeze.
*He's ridonkulously flexible still. Sitting in his carseat, he can lift his leg up and put his toes in his ear. He does it often and laughs because he knows we get a kick (ha!) out of it.
*He loves peek-a-boo and patty cake. It's now because he gets such a response from everyone (remember, he's adorable). So cute. He goes and hides behind furniture, you can see his little self crouching down and then he pops up. Game as old as time, but I tell ya, I'll never tire of it!
*He snuggles. A lot. And if he needs some snuggle time and we're not giving it to him, he stops a few feet in front of us, turns around and backs up into between our legs and just chills. He backs up nice and slowly, so I'd like to find a way to install a back up beep on him, like concrete trucks have. Beep, beep, beep! Here comes a cute baby to get a love! When we put him to bed, he burrows down into our shoulders (Ben & I alternate kids each night). He's 18 mos old. I love him.
*We get lists of what children should be doing developmentally at each well child visit. Devin is the poster child for them. Kyndal was already doing most things on the list but then not at all for some things too, but Devin is a perfect check list. Check, check, check, check. Yup. Devin is fully an 18 mo old. He has always had to soak in every detail and complete every tiny step in developing. Very dependable. My mom has said since really day 1 that he is like a glacier. Slow, solid, strong and immoveable. Yup. Still that.
Here are the reasons the my heart aches. My baby is not a baby anymore. Observe:
18 mo Stats-
*Weight is 23 lbs 12oz, 21st percentile
*Height is 33 inches, 56th percentile
*Lil bitty head is 18.1 inches, 9th percentile. No worries there, it's growing! So in case you had weird thoughts of a normal sized child with a baby sized small head, eradicate them. If his own mother didn't have those thoughts (lie), then you can't either! Also, don't worry, because I asked the doctor if it was ok.
*He says 22 words, most of which make me want to punch myself in the face they are that cute. Sometimes, things are just so cute you have to inflict pain somewhere, ya know? He says "bubbles" and then leaves his mouth in a little "o" for a few seconds after. "No!" has joined those 22 words in the last couple of weeks and oh my, I just want to laugh when he says it. "No! No! No! Nonononono!" (Just as a comparison and to validate my comment about Kyndal, she was saying 67 words at 18 mos. Ok, done).
*He's discovered that throwing tantrums and fits expresses frustration well. Which is fun. Because he glares. So couple a glare from a little tiny boy with the sad face that's been documented previously, and whew. He throws some doozies. He also holds a grudge (BEN). He also gets mad and/or frustrated at things or when he doesn't get something given to him fast enough and then he throws said item away and throws a fit (BEN). Ben continues to tell me that he was an angel child and no way he threw fits like Dev does. I still refuse to believe it.
*He insists on eating all meals with a fork in his hand, whether he needs the fork to eat the meal or not. He pretty much feeds himself, which is kind of nice (Kyndal still wants me to feed her sometimes and she recently bit the crud out of my fingertip).
*He inspects everything and tries to figure it all out. Engineer in the making for sure (how could he not be with the Dad he has and the Grandpa and Aunt he has?). He's got a great little focused face.
*Erm, he climbed out of his crib at 17 months. I think he's been pondering the best way to do it for a while now though, because I put him back in for his nap and he climbed right back out in about 2 seconds. Bam. What's next Mom, I'll figure it out and make you look stupid. What.
Well, I'll stop here because the next task is to upload the pictures I've taken this summer and I'll have more to tell about him. Basically, I freaking love Devin Thomas aka Little Buzzer aka Buzz Buzz aka Butter aka Peanut Butter. Such a great little kid, I couldn't ask for anything more or different in him. I live for his kisses, I live for him holding onto my shirt with his fat little fist while I'm carrying him. I live for the words that come out of his mouth. Yesterday, he said "Arget" for Target. *tear*
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Suction Cup Feet
Posted by Abbey at 1:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
One: good thing he's learned early how important target is.
Two: I straight up LTMOL about your statement "don't worry because I already asked the doctor." HAHAHA!!!
Oh Abbey- I might just need to copy and paste onto my blog- so many things you just said are exactly my little Tate. He eats his PB&J sandwiches with a fork! Oh how I miss you!
Love all the new posts!!! The suction cup noise is so cute! Everytime I hear it now I think of this post. "Baby" Dev is SO stinkin sweet. I can't believe he said "Carley" today!!!!
Post a Comment